View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by incognito70 View Post
I have came to the conclusion that he is a good enough man that I will first ask him to stop before I chose to end seeing him.
Whether he's a good man or not, asking him to stop is tantamount to expecting that you have power over his actions. You do not.

You can however approach the situation differently. You can figure out if it is acceptable to you to have a man who is constantly drinking (and visibly intoxicated though this intoxication doesn't cause any "negative" effects--for now) around you and your children. If it isn't acceptable (which your posts seems to hint at), then you can then decide what you plan on doing if your boyfriend continues to drink (i.e. leave the room, leave the apartment, etc).

If you approach your "talk" from that perspective, by stating what you will do or not do should he continue to drink in your presence, you keep the focus on you and not on him. In all likelihood, there'll be some upheaval following this discussion, and as a complete stranger who knows nothing about your life except the thread you've posted here, I'd say that he'll probably go on drinking.

Originally Posted by incognito70 View Post
But I know that now, at 7 months, before we live together, before we have enmeshed finances or anything.. now is the time.
You are spot on here. Bravo.