View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Hmmm, well, I never had "The Talk". Instead I had "the change" (no, not menopause!), meaning I started to gradually change my attitude with regards to XAH drinking. I never had the money to buy him beer. When he drank, I left the room and didn't engage him. He noticed the change and HE came to me to ask what the heck was my "problem". That's when I squeaked out that I wasn't happy and was working to find my own happiness.

The difference is that my XAH always knew that I had an issue with his drinking. I told him so many times and we had many arguments.

In the case of your AH, it seems that he's not really aware of your issue with drinking. Perhaps it could be feasible to have a short and to the point discussion with him, informing him that you have a problem with his drinking. You could even point him to the nearest AA. Beyond that though, there's really nothing you can do to make him change.

If you do not want your children to grow up thinking that having a beer permanently attached to one's hand is normal, then perhaps you can think of introducing them to Al-Ateen, if they're old enough. It would certainly help to have an honest discussion with them.

Keep posting. There's a lot of wisdom to be found here on SR.