View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hammerhead

Originally Posted by Helpseeker View Post
I'm presently dating a recovering alcoholic, sober for 8 months. The first month of our relationship was wonderful. He was thoughtful, caring, sweet, affectionate, etc... The past few months have shown MAJOR changes in mood and behavior. The kind and loving man I put my heart into is often replaced with an overly exhausted, irritable, impatient mess, which causes much stress for both of us and has a tendency to lead to arguments. (I'm 100% certain that he hasn't relapsed because he's currently wearing an alcohol detection bracelet.)

He regularly attends AA meetings, and is a devoted Christian, but continues to struggle. He has asked me to research characteristics of recovering alcoholics so that I could better understand what conflicts consume them.

I know it's recommended that a recovering alcoholic NOT pursue a relationship for at least a year, but we believe that God brought us together for a reason, and I want to help and be supportive even when it seems unmanageable. This is where I NEED HELP! I know this man has a beautiful heart, but the constant depressive/angry moods can produce so much frustration and insecurity, even when I know I need to be a positive example in his life.

I am told that these behaviors are common, and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me any advice or insight on how to become a more supportive partner. I regularly encourage meetings, time with family, and prayer.

He also suggested that I might benefit from Al-Anon meetings. I've found one in my area, but am not sure if I'm a candidate given the website information. I answered "No" to all questions on their checklist.

I would sincerely appreciate ANY insight, suggested articles, opinions, etc...

Helpseeker

I too am Christian... and I also thought God brought me my exh... well he did... but not for the purpose I thought... I am no longer married... marriage lasted 2 years. In short... an alcoholic will remain an alcoholic until THEY want to stop.

I love God and don't mean any disrespect... but God gave us a brain to use ... that was my lesson.

Yep your sweetie was correct for you to learn about the symptoms... that was awfully nice of him... and every symptom that you read... be prepared for it to get worse... alcoholism is a progressive disease.

Pray for YOUR well being... leave your sweeties work up to him and God... You'll become familiar with the phrase "Let Go and Let God"... it is repeated for a reason.

Please continue to read.... read the stickies at the top of the forum... they were my lifesaver.... SR was my lifesaver... God gave me the brains to figure it all out.

Al-anon meetings is a GREAT place for you... others will be along shortly... there is much wisdom here.

((hugs))