View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
incognito70

How do you have "the talk"?

Its going to change things. Ive been really good about "going with the flow" Im not a complainer about his drinking. I dont ask him to drink less. (Im not saying those are "good" things.. just that in his eyes.. this is how Ive been)

He's a wonderful wonderful man. Very loving, affectionate, responsible, sweet, does whatever he can for me and the kids (my kids, not his).. there is no heartache involved, no pain or bad relationship things going on. He works, makes decent money etc..

He drinks maybe 4-8 beers a night during the week. Always has a beer in hand. Drinks usually from 2:30 pm -7 pm (when he goes to bed-- he works at 3 am)

But he's occupied, mows the yard, cleans the garage, makes supper 1/2 the time, helps with the kids, he's very sweet to me.

On weekends he usually starts around noon. Has maybe 8-12. He's very functional. Never gets stumbly or anything. He knows when he's had "enough' and will say so and quit for the night. (I think "enough" means he's starting to feel ungood)

Anyways-- he's a very good man. We've been together for 7 months. Ive kinda wanted to feel out the situation because tho I know he has an alcohol problem... it doesnt effect life in a bad way. He's such a decent person and is seriously textbook perfect.

However, I dont want my kids to grow up seeing a beer in his hand constantly. I know its going to eventually effect his health (he has said he's drank this way for like 25 years)

What do I say? How do I start? Once I say it he's going to know there is an issue between us.. and feel like there is something BIG I want changed about him . It might change our relationship for good.