View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aboutdone
aboutdone

I don't know your entire situation, but based off your post, I would suggest a book I got through Al Anon called the "Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage".

I also would offer up ways of dealing with your boundary setting. I learned in rehab family group meetings, that I was enabling his behaviour by moving boundaries all the time. I would set a boundary, then give in, because things were going well, and it would start all over again. I never let him know enough was enough.

You can't send someone out to walk across a field full of land mines, if you keep moving the land mines.

I also learned to be thankful for today. If he is not drinking today, then live in the moment. Enjoy them when they aren't being the tyrants that they are while they are drinking.

Only you can decide the route you want to take. If you have a predetermined amount of time in your head that you need to see from him, and it is longer than 5 days, you can let him know that. You can let him know, how nice it is that you are getting along, but you are going to need more time to feel comfortable with his changes. He will either be accepting, and then you can believe that MAYBE this time is different, or he may not be accepting and you will know that this time isn't any different.

My AH was on a 2 week cycle. He could be good for 2 weeks at a time. He would make changes, that only lasted for 2 weeks. Guaranteed. When he came out of rehab, I told him I needed time. I wasn't sure how much time, I was still going to work on things, but I couldn't say how much time it would take me to check back in fully. He wasn't overly happy but respected that it took me almost 3 months to start believing the changes he was trying to make.