View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

'One day at a time' has been a real jewel in my sobriety crown (How about that for a slogan!! hahaha)

I find that my recovery is a new way of living and it's one which is so much healthier mentally than it used to be. I used to project my thinking all of the time and thanks to really actively living 'one day at a time' then I find my anxiety and worry greatly reduced.

I must admit that the slogans used to annoy me when i first went into AA. But after going back into it after drinking again then I got over it and now they don't bother me at all. In fact I find most of them very, very useful and fundamental to helping my thinking and mood when I am in a tricky situation. They are simple, effective and easy to remember. Yes, I actually think they are very positive personally and I know that they have reallly helped me.

There is much good in AA and what is being talked about truly does work. 'Take what you want and leave the rest' is another slogan that I apply at meetings. However even when I don't click with certain things that are shared then I still can get stuff out of it.

I have had nothing but positive and encouraging responses at the AA meetings I attend and it really does help me when I have the stalwarts thanking me for my share outside afterwards. It has really helped me keep gratefully sober.

I think it really is a 'one day at a time' thing. Once you start thinking too far out of the present then you will find overwhelming and anxious thoughts start to dominate.

Working on my recovery and moving forwards 'one day at a time' and staying sober 'just for today'. That is my overall outlook on it all.