View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
AtlasMcGee

I started going to AA meetings, because I didn't have a sober social network & was sure to continue my way of life without that necessary change/supplement. I've begun to look forward to becoming better equipped to deal with life on life's terms, to actually feel emotion & cope with it instead of drinking & drugging at it. I have to realize that there is much to be learned & that I didn't know much & that I do not have to (wasn't meant to) take this on alone. I am very grateful for that.

As for not wanting to be like some of the people in the meetings, I have only encountered a handful that truly make me want to take on this way of life, however, nearly everyone else serves as a constant reminder of where I could have ended up, how messed up my train of thought was or that there are other people out there with heavy loads ( many being heavier than mine) that I can lend a helping hand to.

My dad got sober the same age as me, 23, & he has never gone to an AA meeting & I go pretty much on a daily basis with a few exceptions. However, he gave his life to christ & became an adamant church goer. He didn't touch a drink (or any other substance) for 6 months & can now have A beer here & there & it isn't a big deal. I can not even think about these things at the moment, because then it will get me thinking of WHEN I can drink & I can just see that going no where good. So, we are all different & I need to constantly be reminded to let faith work 24 hours or I won't make it. I may still abstain from a drink, but will I be able to live up to my full potential? I want higher standards.

One thing that bother's me in AA is almost everyone constantly confessing that they are an alcoholic. So, I just say I am recovering or a recovering alcoholic. I feel like if I keep saying that I am, then that gives it power & though I maybe powerless over alcohol, I have a higher power that is able to relieve me from that powerlessness & I wouldn't want to hinder that.

I find it best these days to sit back & listen & be open & honest with myself & others.

Great thread, thanks!