View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Chops

Funny how this thread is about somebody in AA that has several problems with it and some subsequent posts could be labeled, "why I don't like AA" yet all are still welcome in AA. That’s what amazes me about the fellowship of AA, its ability to help and always welcome those who may not necessarily love or even like it. I spent a great deal of time hating aspects of it while it simultaneously saved my life.

The OP talked about AA being inflexible, well it is flexible enough to have only one membership requirement. And I have never heard of anyone getting kicked out, especially for showing up drunk. That is very different from other treatment places I am sure. Even this wonderful forum we are members have user terms of conditions for use that we all agreed to. No such regulations in AA. Violations of this agreement gets us potentially sanctioned on SR, no sanctions in AA.

I go to a meeting where a former Deacon in the Church will sometimes shout out "F God and his son" at a meeting. Asked why he sometimes does it, he replies that after 37 years sober in AA he is amazed that he can that do that in a meeting and no one can do anything about it. :-)

So while I have had issues with AA, I love it, if not for the only reason being that I am allowed to hate it if I choose yet it is still there for me, no matter what.

Think the 12 and 12 says something like "no fellowship so jealously guards a members freedom to think, act and speak as he wishes" I find that to be true. I can call AA alot of things but the freedom enjoyed by its members is truly amazing to me.