View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Anon1972

Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
I once had an affair with a married man while I was seriously involved with someone else. Please don't take offense to my comments as I am really only reflecting on my prior situation that occurred many many years ago. But, I did it because I was unhappy, not just with my BF at the time, but with my entire life. I was seeking escape & fell into the arms of the first person who made me feel good about myself & gave me some attention. I think he did it for a lot of the same reasons & at one point told me he was going to leave his wife for me. I truly regret the entire thing & have vowed I would never cheat on someone or get involved with someone who is cheating again.

While we both cared a lot for each other, in retrospect we didn't love each other, even though it felt that way at the time. We both were miserable with our own lives & using each other as an escape.

My guess is that if this man cares for you drunk, then he will care for you sober. However, he likely has a lot of emotional issues, which are probably part of the reason he drinks. You are likely his escape from his own unhappiness - like drinking you are another temporary fix for his internal pain. I would not expect him, drunk or sober, to leave his family for you. I also would not expect that you would find that you would really find long term happiness with each other. Leaving his wife & being with you would not actually fix what is wrong with this man. Also, you likely have some emotional issues as well or you would not find yourself needing someone who is unavailable & your issues wouldn't be fixed by you two getting together either.

Just my 2 cents from my past experience. Get some counseling & move on with your life.
Finally, an unjudgemental post!! Well firstly, I'm not expecting him to leave them, I don't want to hurt anyone, and if he wants to be with me then he will do wht he has to, but I wouldn't want to be branded a homewrecker, because I don't want to be the cause of their split! I can't help my feelings for him, I've loved him ever since I met him before I knew his situation! There was an instant attraction, and the fact he forgave me and persued me after 5 years of no contact says to me I must mean quite a lot to him, 5 years ago I ruined his life more or less but he still wants to get to know me when he's off the drink says a lot to me. I believe he is my soul mate and I feel sorry for him that he's somewhat trapped in a situation he doesn't want to be in, and I hope that he will find the strength to get out of it for his sake, more than my own. Thanks for your input, but I am not giving up on love because it's too precious and I might not ever find someone who I feel this strongly about again, and he might not, so why give up when the determination is there?!