View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Toronto68

"When I hear God my mind just automatically converts it to mean Good orderly direction. Something which keeps me actively engaged in recovery rather than turned off and demoralised."

Neo, I think this particular point is something that a lot of people could use. Not necessarily the same acronym or mnemonic device, but the idea of converting the notion of that special thing greater than us into a meaning that works for us. At least it could reduce the likelihood that some would be thrown back into a "hangup mode." The political debater in me wants to tune out people that say "It's all the same God." I don't think it is. I suspect the only thing that is the same to many people is the desire to believe in something connected to them. If someone is not comfortable with the baggage that comes with the words associated with an unfriendly feelings of the past, it would be nice for that person to find something friendlier - and without feeling like it is selfish to do so. Another way of putting it is that it would be nice to feel the relationship with that special power without being "pious" in the negative sense.

Sobermax, I am basically in the same place as I was when I read a few weeks ago that you were able to activate some sort of prayer activity in your mind and send out an "I love you" message into the world. Kind of yearning and still baffled, but not altogether suffering in it. This is another great thread, and I like how you articulate your honesty.