View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post

I wish though that more people could respond more rationally - simply repeating slogans isn't always helpful. I've heard that 'your brain needs washing' quote also and this sort of learned response is precisely what can be so frustrating at times. It twists the intended sense (here, the subjegation of the ego through misdirection) to 'the questioner has a 'dirty' brain and therefore what they say is invalid'. It seems that there is a slogan for any possible objection or query, many of which seem designed to belittle the newcomer. I understand why this is and I don't even mind that much, but simply repeating nuggets of wisdom isn't in itself wisdom and is difficult to accommodate.
Once I "got", or understood and had my own experience with those "nuggets of wisdom"... it didn't bother when I heard them. In fact, shudder, I caught myself using them from time to time

The program of AA is in the Big Book, period... everything else is something someone else said... if what others say drive you crazy, and I am very sympathetic here because it's part of my AA experience too... go back to the Big Book... it's all in there.... BTW, like intention, I find the Joe and Charlie study guide very helpful and there are not too many annoying slogans ... I have the Joe and Charlie speaker series on my iPod

Great thread, thanx!