View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mark75

Nice post, thank you.

Well, yes, the steps are a set of instructions to follow to bring about a spiritual awakening and freedom from the chains of alcoholism. But really, they do not take over our lives, we are free to do anything we want to do, except drink. Quite the opposite of rigidity, they allow us to be free, free of addiction, free of self centeredness...

I mean, the way I see it... here are 12 steps, some with decisions to make, some with self assessment and "cleaning house" and some with ongoing action and helping others... How I incorporate that into my life is up to me... Gosh, with all that happens in my life, all the day to day and far reaching decisions and plans I need to make, all the people in my life, my work, my outside interests... the 12 steps are simply framework, a set of principles to follow... it's not my life... nor do I want it to be...

Some find that AA, the program and fellowship, are much more than a framework and they do wish to make it the central activity of their lives... Service, social, family... and that's OK!! It's wonderful actually, those that live and breath AA 24/7 give all of us in AA so much and we all benefit...

I am a catholic... but I have not joined the priesthood nor have I joined a monastery.

Maybe follow directions, get recovered, you'll know then the why and how of the program in your own life, moving forward... and even that is not static... AA well always be there.