View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
justbrian

I'm so grateful that AA let's us work a program of personal recovery. I'm also glad that I have enough sanity restored to let me keep an open mind. For me today it's a "battle of the mind". The craving and desire for alcohol has been removed, but I still suffer from an alcoholic mind, and accept that I always will. I go to AA today to learn HOW to live with my alcoholic mind. I truly have no opinion on the N/A issue, or weather or not smoking is better or worse than alcohol.

Today I smoke no more, and no less than I did when I was drinking. According to what some have said here, I'm not in recovery. My addiction has changed to coffee. I drink TONS. I crave it in the mornings, and become anxious when I'm out (until I make more). I will not, however take food out of my kids mouths or steal from someone to get another cup. Coffee never has, and as far as I'm concerned, never will make my life unmanageable. I drink it while I'm driving...for that matter I smoke too. So, am I still an addict? For me, yes I am. For me, no matter what I give up or don't give up I will always be an addict. I have the disease of addiction, and I will never be free of that. That's my opinion. Believing that helps me stay sober today. I'm happy when I see someone freed from the bondage of alcohol. Whatever else they do is none of my business, and I try very hard not to make it mine.

Thanks for giving this sober RECOVERING alcoholic a little of your time!

Brian