Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wittss

AH with other serious disease. Almost the end?

Hi,
I am new to this resource and it's terrific so far. I do attend an Al Anon Group but someone there, (outside the meeting) told me perhaps I should find another more dedicated to active alcoholics as evidently this group has more ACA's in it. Been there - done that. Just so you know I am not completely new to the problem...

My 67 yo husband has pretty severe COPD with asbestosis. He's not on oxygen ..yet. In the last 6 months he has dropped 30-40lbs. Is looking like a skeleton. The real problem, we all believe, he and all the docs, is the drinking.
His liver is 1 1/2 x the size it should be. In the words of our doc, and other docs, I am probably the only reason he is still alive. Loving, caring etc...

At this point, he is not eating more than a scrap of food a day. I know I cannot help him, nag him or anything. I've been doing lots of research on the physical effects of alcoholism and he is end stage. I wonder every day if this will be his last. I am trying to prepare for that. But, this has been going on for awhile and I don't know how many more days I will truly survive "the wait".

We don't hardly talk anymore. I am mentally planning his funeral and my life after. However, I am feeling lately that I am very depressed, and losing it. My id name is an acronym I decided on awhile ago, kind of a double entendre. I have to keep my wit(s) about me. It helps to maintain my cool and sense of fun. And unfortunately, "Widow in Training". I misspelled it for my ID here but I've decided that for this purpose it means widow in training, trustingly seeking serenity. Lately, I am just out of juice. I have to do everything in and outside of our home.
I humbly ask that anyone here who has dealt with a chronically ill person who also has alcoholism, to share with me. I haven't seen this discussed yet. I just keep hearing my friends say they don't know how I manage, that they are really sorry for my dilema. It's both been a real eye-opener for me, embarrassing but also comforting.