View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
roxalot

Originally Posted by DonneIslanding View Post
I found out there's a SMART Recovery weekly face-to-face meeting about 20 minutes from my place, and really want to attend this Wednesday. I love the concept of a science-based approach to recovery, and hope to learn a lot about staying sober.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect at my first SMART meeting? I'd appreciate any insight you all could provide.

Hi Donnelslanding, you can find out quite a bit about SMART Recovery from their website SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction.

SMART is a four point program that is based on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. SMART teaches that addiction is a behavior (not a disease) and that
behaviors are learned and can be changed. The four points of SMART deal with Motivation, Coping With Urges, Problem Solving and Lifestyle Balance.

The meetings are open to people in all stages of recovery and topics of discussion vary depending on who is in attendance.

With regards to what to expect at a SMART meeting, the website includes a meeting outline: SMART RecoveryŽ - Meeting Outline

SMART is a non-profit, volunteer mutual self-help peer support group, Basically a meeting consists of three parts, an introduction, a check-in period and a discussion period.
The discussion period is focused on recovery topics and SMART tools, and is a discussion, with active participation (cross-talk) from all members welcome.

The SMART site also includes a list of available face to face meetings and contact information, and you may contact the facilitator in advance of attending your meeting for more information. That's what I did before I attended my first meeting in the San Francisco area and it was helpful.

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
SMART is so limited in terms of its availability. I wish I had something but no luck. If the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, then all your problems look like nails....
Dgillz: It is true that SMART does not have anywhere near the number of face-to-face meetings that AA does. SMART DOES have daily online meetings and a thriving online chat room where you can always find SMART support. As for the SMART toolbox, it is stuffed full of tools for all stages of recovery

Originally Posted by ryanmar View Post
I didn't make it to mine. I wasn't able to sleep the night before and I was so out of it after work and I definately want to have a clear head when I attend.

BUT I found a place that holds 3 AA meetings EVERY day so I'm going to give one of those a shot tonight.
Ryanmar: Sorry to hear you were having sleep problems and that you missed the SMART meeting. But glad for you that you found a convenient AA meeting to attend. SMART is all about "self-management" and believes that YOUR choice of "whatever works" is a key to recovery. Many people who attend SMART meetings also attend other support group meetings, including AA, and find benefits from both programs.

Wishing you all the best!!