View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
super71

I am new to these boards and new to sobriety - 5 days here. I hope I can add my two cents without offending anyone. At this point - and I am guessing in the future as well, I will not risk NA beverages because my mind would think of it as "drinking" and I think it is a very slippery slope I would be heading down.

I attended a few AA meetings long ago and was struck by how hypocritial so many members seemed to be in regards to "addiction". I sat and listened to so many talk about being powerless over alcohol and turning it over to a higher power.. etc.. and then these same people lit up and chain smoked as soon as they walked out the door. Seemed pretty powerless over this addiction as well - and it is very, very harmful. May not cause a DUI, but the effects of having a spouse or parent die an early death caused by smoking related health problems is devestating. I do plan on attending AA this week because I think it will help me in many ways - I need the connection to others who have been through quitting alcohol and have had success. I do not discout the message because so many smoke.. Also, I am a heavily addicted smoker for many years.

I hope we all find success in fighting the things that are killing us.