View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
celticfire78

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
I don't go along with the counter-indictment on the smoking. Smoking is a companion substance for many drinkers, but keeping up with the smoking is not the same as keeping up with the drinking in my case, there is a huge divide there.
Yeah, well it's interesting to note that tobacco can cause more health problems than drinking and using illicit drugs combined. One can also experience "withdraw" from tobacco.

I also personally know several folks who never even took up smoking until they stopped drinking- so, they were, as I said, transitioning from one addiction to another, never dealing with the underlying issues that foster addiction in the first place. I know that for myself, when I started to really explore the reasons why my drinking got so out of control in the first place, and dealt with THOSE issues, the urge to drink at all left me.

And yes, I like the taste and aromas of wine. Lots of folks do, and plenty who don't have a problem with alcohol. I stopped drinking mostly because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired- I grew out of it. I have no desire today to pick up anything that will so much as give me a light beer buzz.