View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TwelveSteps

Personally, I will sometimes have NA beer. I actually don't think it tastes that much like real beer (which I love, Belgians especially), but I mainly drink it at BBQs and things like that where it reduces my anxiety about acquaintances questioning why I'm not drinking. It looks like a bottle of beer and helps me not focus so much on the fact that I'm the only one without a beer in my hand. My sponsor disagrees with me as to whether it is OK to ever have NA beer, but like several other posters mentioned, only you can decide what's right for you. For me, the minute amount of alcohol has no effect on me and does not induce cravings. I'll usually have one that I nurse the whole time, and don't think about it for a second once it's done. For others, I can see how it could create a reminder of "oh, wouldn't a beer feel nice right now" or how their cravings could get triggered by the small amount of alcohol. It's up to you to monitor how you feel about it, or just avoid it if pondering the question at all just causes too much anxiety.

GG

Last edited by Dee74; 06-21-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: removed ad