View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
celticfire78

Originally Posted by north View Post
Sometimes it helps to be able to do the math. If your sponsor is so insistent on you resetting your sobriety date, ask them the last time they had a glass of orange juice or ate something with malt vinegar like fish & chips or a salad with vinaigrette dressing.

An ABV of 0.15%, as you indicated, is significantly less than the maximum ABV level allowed for NA beers in the US which is 0.5% (0.05% for the UK). And, if one wants to really get anally-retentive over it, then to be consistent, they ought to throw a similar objection to the average glass of orange juice which can contain up to 0.5% ABV. And, the malt vinegar that we pour liberally over our fish and chips (at least in the UK), contains about 0.2% ABV...
Exactly. I actually mentioned this to my sponsor last night. She insisted that it was the intent around it, no matter how much alcohol was in it. "If orange juice has alcohol in it, then why not drink that instead", she asked. Well, I dunno. I wasn't in the mood, maybe? Orange juice doesn't have the same essential aromas and flavor that a good wine has. And for me, good wine was ALWAYS about the taste, never about getting drunk. More than two glasses of regular wine always set me sick as a dog. If I wanted to get drunk it was all about Belgian ales and Vodka! Good NA wines are better in some cases than the real thing (and good NA wines DO exist!), because I get to indulge on the great taste with none of the guilt!

I agree so far with what everyone has said about it being a personal decision of mine, based on my own rigorous honesty. If my sponsor isn't happy with the decision I've chosen to make for myself, well, I have to remind myself that I am not responsible for my sponsor's happiness and contentment.