View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by PizzaChef View Post
I went to a meeting that same day but it was a bit daunting because I didn't know that everyone said "hello X" at the beginning of people's stories or thanked them at the end and I didn't know whether there was a set amount of money to put in the jar or whether it was ok for me to just turn up without notice. I'm really starting from scratch so I don't know anything!
Hi Pizzachef,

Everyone is the same when they first go to a meeting. You did well to go. When a person starts sharing they usually say "My name is ....... I'm an alcoholic" but there are no rules and you don't have to say that you are an alcoholic if you don't want to.

As to the 7th tradition - AA is self supporting .The money collected with go to pay for the rent of the room, literature, tea, coffee, biscuits and each group usually makes a contribution for AA as a whole, again to fund what is necessary, like helplines.

I think most people tend to put £1 in the pot. Some people put less, some people put more. Occcassionally our secretary (this is what we call the person who takes the meeting in our group) says that we are struggling to cover the rent this week, so please help if you can. But no-one has to put any set amount into the collection.

And yes you can turn up without notice, or leave when you want. Our group leaves the 7th tradition pot by the door, for people who want to leave early, to drop their money in. I have been to other meetings where this is not available and people will leave the money on the table or give it to the person sitting next to them if they need to leave early.