View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PizzaChef

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post

One really, really big thing I've noticed (and for which I'm grateful), is that I don't feel cut off from life/people anymore. Now, instead of wanting to get to the buzz at a social event, I find myself relating to the people. I find myself caring about others, rather than just worrying who saw me take that extra glass of wine or heard me slur a word. I'm really there, in the present moment, and that is liberating in its own way. I have more confidence and I'm sure I give off a totally different kind of energy.
Like Shelly this really struck a chord with me too. I realise now how little I take in about what my friends have told me because I'm so fuzzy-headed. I'm ashamed at how little I've taken in about their lives - mainly because if I talk to them on the phone at night I simply don't remember the details in the morning.

I'm so grateful for the internet and this forum already. I have read a lot on here about sponsors and Big Books and 12 steps but I only really began to face my problem and admit how bad it was on Friday. I went to a meeting that same day but it was a bit daunting because I didn't know that everyone said "hello X" at the beginning of people's stories or thanked them at the end and I didn't know whether there was a set amount of money to put in the jar or whether it was ok for me to just turn up without notice. I'm really starting from scratch so I don't know anything!

What I do know is that today has been ok and I've got so much done. Mainly paperwork and organising things that I usually start with a glass of wine but then decide to just chill on the couch and watch telly instead so it's a pretty big job! What I've found hardest today is that every single thing on the telly seems to be sponsored by some wine company or another!

While AA looks like it will be a big help to me, I can honestly say that this forum is going to be an even bigger help. I've spent a lot of time in between filing and stuff today reading through some of the threads and I feel much less scared than I did before.

Thanks everyone xxx