View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by PizzaChef View Post
Going to that ONE, first (of many - I now know) meetings has made me so much less ashamed to say I am an alcoholic. In fact, I feel proud that I can admit it and DO something about it. The meeting was full of people from all different walks of life and they were so strong and so open.

Admittedly I have only told my best friend and my boyfriend so far, but if I'm being honest, I haven't told my parents because once I do then they will NEVER have alcohol around me again and I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I can't just cut down, but I may have to quit entirely.
Hi Pizzachef and welcome to SR.

I'm glad you have made it to a meeting. You'll probably see more and more that there are many non-stereotypical alcoholics in those rooms. When I was drinking, the delusion that I couldn't possibly be an alcoholic, almost killed me.

As to telling your parents, I wouldn't worry about that at the moment. The person you live with knows, so that is helpful. I would suggest finding yourself a sponsor. Not only will she be able to show you how to work the 12 steps, she will be able to talk through these types of issues with you and help you to come to conclusions as to what action to take. Our own thinking and decision making is not always too reliable.
Good luck.