View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
AddingItUp28

Hey all - Just received my copy of the most recent AA book - strongly reccomend it as it is very inspiring and makes me feel not alone.

Wanted to say this as well - We've all been saying we drink to numb ourselves, but why else? For me, I drank because I earned it. I was a kid who was asked to grow up too soon, too often taking care of my siblings and sometimes parents (more parents emotions than physically taking care). I have thought that as a responsible person in other areas of my life, I get to drink to the point of inebriation. Somehow I managed to keep other areas of my life together (truly and oddly successful in most relationships). Although the compromise is that I live my life lying - pretending I am not hungover, not wondering why people won't drink faster, and not overly excited when I see a bottle of wine open. Anyway...its interesting to explore why we drink, and then to realize how those reasons don't add up. I thought having a difficult childhood meant I 'got' to poison myself both with alcohol and dishonesty, but it doesn't add up does it?

Interested in everyone else's thoughts. (Also, I work part time at a pub and had my first shift today working where I refused drinks from customers all night - my last shift is at the end of the week though - spending money isn't worth potentially messing up my so far short but sweet sobriety. )