View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by LisaJean1970 View Post
My baby is due on June 23rd. He will not be there for me, even though we went through the natural childbirth classes together. Instead I will rely on my family. The program he is involved in now lasts from 12-16 months, depending on how well he does.
Hi Lisa, and welcome to SR!

My 'baby' just turned 22 years old on June 9th.

Her father wasn't there for her either, not for the birth, or anything afterwards until he made a half-hearted attempt at establishing a relationship with her when she was 8 years old. I was the one who contacted him.

That lasted a whomping year. He lives 35 miles away. He's been retired for many years now (he's 20 year older than me).

Want to know the kicker? He was a sober member of AA for 13 years when I first met and started dating him. We never married, and thank God.

He's now over 30 years 'sober', and has the same interest in his youngest daughter as he had in his first set of kids while he was still drinking.

My family 'disowned' me when I ended up pregnant with my youngest, and thank God for the loving fellowships of AA and Alanon (I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic/codependent). They were there for me through the entire pregnancy.

One of my earliest AA sponsors was there with me when I went into labor, and she stayed through the entire delivery, coaching me.

I was incredibly angry at my youngest's dad for a long time, but no more. She was truly a blessing from God, and today she knows which parent was there with her through thick and thin.

I have watched her grow up through the years, and he missed out on it all.

She's an avid horsewoman, and has been in the saddle since she was 10 years old. She trained in dressage for 8 years. She has her registered quarter horse gelding Sonny, and also has a new Palomino gelding named Argo, a paint horse, and a rescued miniature horse by the name of Tinkerbell.

She's on the drill team who brings in the flags on their horses at our state's largest rodeo, and they participate in parades all over the state. She's worked since she was 17 years old, has financed her own vehicles, paid the insurance, and has excellent credit already at her age.

It took me a long time to start focusing on the good things I do have, rather on the things that were not, but it was so worth it.

I am so glad you have a supportive family. I hope you continue to post, and know you are among people who understand!