Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Originally Posted by Mek0455 View Post
Wow I guess you are right. The difference between me and my friends that party just as much is that they could easily stop any time they wanted. I can't. How did I get this problem and they didn't? It isn't fair
I now look at my alcoholism differently. Rather than a negative thing I view it as a positive. ie- my life has taken a direction that it would never have taken and without my alcoholism then I wouldn't have experienced everything that I've experienced and also wouldn't be the person that I am today.

However when I was 17 then I didn't even consider I had a problem. I got sober at 23 which is still considered young. That's not to say that you can't get sober at 17. But you're going to have to really want it and have reached some sort of rock bottom, whether materially or emotionally or psycholgically. Just my opinion as I know what it took for me to truly want to get sober.

It's especially difficult the younger you are in many ways as you need to be 100% sure that you're on the right path ie- sober path. Because people, places and things have to all be totally changed and that means cutting out partiers and parties to be honest. Dedicating your whole life to recovery. A difficult thing to accept when you're young. But if you're an alkie or an addict then eventually the party will be always for one... Yourself and it will last days and days and destroy lots and lots. You will be even lonlier at the end than at the start. The only solution another party for one.

All The Best