View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
iwantcontrol

i'm in a similar situation although my ABF suffers from unipolar depression not bipolar (although beginning to wonder if there isn't a mild bipolar aspect). It is hard being in a relationship with someone suffering from these problems. I don't know if i'm coming or going from one day to the next.

I personally think the alcohol has to be dealt with first too because meds cannot work when someone is drinking. I can see that it must be a huge and scary situation for them to be in, and one that feels impossible to deal with. I've tried to be supportive and encouraging but when he continues to make things worse by using alcohol I end up getting angry and shouting at him to sort things out. That probably doesn't help, but then it doesn't seem to matter at all how I respond to him - nothign changes. I think he has to go to rehab to tackle it but that isn't happening either.

Personally I have made a decision to stay in the relationship for now and try to help him, but I cant do that forever if nothing changes. I wish you luck and I feel for you. It is hard when someone is saying things like that to you and you don’t know where you stand. I have a similar thing most days and it can be so draining.