View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hope4Recovery

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Hi Hope - I can relate to your post. (I've got about the same number of days sober and my spiritual program isn't mainstream either). Right now, I can say that I spend at least as much time thinking about not drinking as I did drinking. I'm spending probably 2-3 hours or more on SR every day. But things really are slowly improving and changing. I'm starting to exercise, get more work done, do things with my daughters, etc.

Being more of the eastern spirituality, perhaps not resisting (accepting, being the observer, etc) would be one way to go. Also, think of it as a positive, rather than negative obsession.... turn that thought of "not drinking" into a thought of embracing a new sober life......

I'm just fishing here, but I had to respond, since we have some things in common.
I like the idea of reframing things in a more positive way of "embracing a new sober life" rather than the negative approach - very helpful. I should have thought of this myself. My life is also slowly improving - I am going to school, functioning much better at work, getting chores done, etc. Big changes for me. Still not exercising yet but it is on my list. Exercise was a great tool for me during my twenties before the drinking took over - I felt great when i was physically fit. The strange part is that while i was drinking I probably spent about an hour each morning thinking "I can't keep doing this" and then about 5 minutes thinking about it before i got to the bar after work. Now, I wake up feeling hopeful and really not thinking about it but end up thinking quite a bit about things at night after work. I find that keeping myself busy keeps the thoughts away. Even when I'm stressed at work, I don't think about drinking - i think about solutions to reducing the stress. Its that time after work that is still triggering the thoughts. Glad you are doing well and thanks for the input.