View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Recovery1983

Please update us with how the therapist session went.

Yesterday, I was in the school gym working out and I was doing some exercises in the class exercise rooms. No one was in there and then the teacher comes in. I asked her if there was a class starting and she said there should be a class at 11:15 but no one was in there. Anyways, a few mins later, this girl walks in for that 11:15am class. The teacher said that she was going to cancel since no one showed up. The girl pretty much just breaks down and said she NEEDED this class. Of course, this caught my attention while I was doing my lunges.

She tells us that after the Memorial weekend, her bf decides that he doesnt want to move in with her and that he wants to see other people. So basically i'm assuming they broke up. She was very upset and was obviously crying. Not only was she emotionally tied with this guy, she had already split the down payment on the apt with him. I think their down payment was first month's rent which was 500 bucks.

This girl is a PHD student and will be done in another quarter or so and is probably around my age, which is 27. She was saying that her ex was 27 so i'm assuming that they were around the same age and he was a PHD student too. We tried to comfort her and everything but of course she was just emotionally in pain.

It brought back memories for me because I have emotions too and it really sucked when my relationship went down the drain, especially when a lot of it was when I was drinking. The teacher said that oh, this guy is a jerk and you shouldnt be with him which is true. Being around alcoholics in meetings everyday, I forget that she is probably a normie. I told her that she needs some time to grieve because breaking up really hurts and it causes emotional stress. Then I told her that, she needs to release this stress in healthy ways. I said that being in the gym is a good way or even go see a counselor and talk about it and dont go out and party and drink.

After, I realized she probably doesnt go out and drink her feelings away because that is something I would do because i'm an alcoholic and she probably is not. My point is that you do need that grieving time. Besides the whole alcohol thing, you need your time to grieve over these situations. We can say all we want about how bad this guy is or how you are better off without him but until YOU are ready emotionally, it wont really matter what we say.

The alcohol and your current emotions is a deadly combination.