View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

Hey Glyon, and welcome. I don't have much advice for you on when you'll start feeling better. I had trouble sleeping when I first stopped drinking, and I broke out in sweats a few times. But I was underweight, as I had substituted alcohol for food for quite a while. I began to eat a lot, but I needed to. Then I started exercising, and even when I don't want to do it, it makes me feel better. It's good that you're going to see you doctor. Tell the doctor the truth about what you're going through; don't be embarrassed about anything. Many, many people have gone through the same thing as you're going through right now.

Also, I've met some really cool people in AA. We've experienced many similar things, and you know they'll probably not drink when you're hanging out. Most of my friends know how much I drank and for how long, so they've actually been really supportive of me. They try not to drink when I'm around, but I have to tell them that it's OK and that I'm cool with other people drinking.

See, I look at it like this. I absolutely love Coca Cola. If I found out I had diabetes, I couldn't drink Coke any longer. I'd switch to something without sugar. And I wouldn't be upset if I went out to dinner and ordered an unsweet tea and my buddy got a Coke. It's not his fault I can't have a Coke, so why should he be penalized?

Well, I discovered that I'm an alcoholic. That means I can't drink alcohol. But when I hang out with my friends, I don't want them to change because of something I can't do; it's got nothing to do with them.

Welcome to our community, and I hope your doctor visit goes well and you have a great day!