Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
thequest

The right thing

Originally Posted by Hope44 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been posting here about my addict daughter, who has been told she has until June 1st to find somewhere else to live. Things seemed to be peaceful around here until today when she told me the landlord at the place she has put a security deposit down on is requiring her to also have a co-signer for the lease. Is this common? Why should a 22 year old (adult) be required to have a cosigner? Unfortunately for her we will NOT be cosigning. We sense a serious red flag putting ourselves on the hook for this.

Anyway, the real reason I'm here is I've been wondering if anyone has experience with addict who actually got better while living at home. I'm not really having doubts about our decision to kick her out... but I just was wondering. Is it possible and can anyone here attest to it?

I know how it's said an addict needs to hit rock bottom before turning around... but I also have this worry that kicking her out might truly break her spirit and... it could be the end of her.

Thanks for listening.
We too are waiting for a bottom on a much older individual. Have a relative/alcoholic/PEDs & drug user who has basically stuck an elder family member for 5 figures. Finds enough money for his activities while unemployed and yet has stopped paying on that 5 figure loan.

I don't know wether living at home helps or not but I think an addict does need a wake up call or hit a bottom. We too are waiting for borrower to hit that bottom.

Good Luck, I hope all turns out well.