View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Margareth
Recent T-totaller

Hi there,

I read your question but also the information you shared about yourself.

Without wanting to go into comparisons I, and trust me I can hit the bottle pretty damn hart, am shocked at the speed the disease of alcoholism has developed in you. To give few pointers, I didn't start to drink until I was 22 and it took me 30 years to get to were I am now.

I hope you and the others won't jump on me and I apologise if this inappropriate but my advise to you would be to get to not just the nearest AA meeting ASAP but also to go to a serious counsellor with the legal ability to prescribe drugs. One who might be able to help you find underlying physical and mental problems that may currently be obscured by alcohol use.

Please understand me clearly: I'm not saying they exist because I have neither the training or the experience to suggest they do but your use is so much and in such a short time at such a young age that I fear for you more than many other alcoholics or even myself.

It's almost as if you should not be worried about stopping but more about getting you to a place were they can and help you to stop and figure out what it is in the first place what has made this happen so quick and so badly.

I have come to believe that alcoholism is a debilitating disease and like diabetes needs careful management and that some of us are better at it than others. I also believe that some people have the disease in a more severe form than others and that it can take some people longer than others to develop it to a point where they seek help.

I also, as happened with me and my husband, believe that things can happen to you that can aggravate an already pre-existing condition to develop into full blown case of alcoholism.

But one thing I'm fully convinced about is that you are ill if you cannot drink small amounts on social occasions or even alone sometimes because that is all you need and want than you have to be extremely careful with any potentially addictive drug and you young man (said in motherly voice) are not just walking away from them but running headlong into them.

I hope that you will take responsibility for yourself and make the right choices with regards to your illness.

Go carefully.