Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Mistermister))) - welcome to SR! I'm sorry for what has brought you here, but you're in good hands! There are so many people here, who are going through, or have been through, similar situations.

I'm an RA (recovering addict) as well as a codie (codependent) who has loved ones who are addicts.

I can tell you a few things from the get-go. YOU can't "help" her with getting off drugs. This is something she has to do for herself. She may "talk the talk" but with A's (addicts), ACTION is what you need to look at. I SAID I wanted to get off dope a lot of times, and I'm sure I MEANT it, but I didn't take action until I'd faced enough consequences that I was truly sick and tired of it.

I'm glad you're not giving her money...don't. A's will often sell anything they can get their hands on to support their habit..regardless of what their DOC (drug of choice) is. They will "rent" out their cars, homes, etc. There is plenty of help available, and the greatest help to an addict is another recovering addict..12-step meetings, SMART recovery, counseling, etc.

The best thing my loved ones ever did was to tell me "we love you, but you need to get your life together" and step back. They allowed me to fall on my face and find my way back up again.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy