Thread: Class of 2008
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

That's very interesting that you posted about this Philly and JIT, because I was just saying something to my husband this morning about this very topic. I drank socially for years, but within a relatively short period of time, My Mother, my MIL, and my FIl died AND my girls entered the black hole of adolescence, I went into a nose dive. Now I'm wondering if my excessive drinking was situational and could I return to social drinking. BUT, if I am really, really honest, I was always after the "buzz"...for decades....but I just didn't "need" copious amounts. It was for pleasure...not as a crutch (at least, I think not). But the fact remains, that it doesn't matter if I could return to social drinking (and the consequences if I am wrong are too frightening for me to contemplate), I am much happier abstinent. Just as alcohol permeated my life, so has sobriety and I don't want to jeopardize what I have now for some stupid glass of wine.

But back to the topic you raised....99% of the time, I think "Thank God I don't drink anymore. This person is going to feel like crap in the morning. Whew, I'm glad it's not me". For much of the year, we live in the Caribbean and virtually everyone drinks, every day...so it's around me all the time. Certainly early on, I was resentful that I couldn't join them, thought I "stuck out", etc. But now, I count my lucky stars that I'm where I'm at. It took me wayyyyyyyyyy too long to get sober, and I never want to go through that again. It's just not worth it.

I hope that this thread stays alive! Just doin' my bit!