Thread: Friends
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

This really got me thinking about how my friendships have changed since I got into recovery. I am not the same person as I was before, and I've come to learn that I don't want the same kind of people in my inner circle as I did before.

During the crazy years, I had some friends who were as addicted to the drama in my life as I was... always eagerly waiting for the next episode of A Day in the Life... many had advice and criticism. There were some pretty dysfunctional friendships. It was hard for me to change how I handled things, to change what I talked about and to whom. It was similar to the angst I felt when I started to detach from my A and his erratic behaviors.

Some of my friends didn't like the change. They didn't understand why I was no longer telling them every juicy detail of our sick life. They didn't like it that I had "new friends" to whom I confided... but I am ever so grateful for the healthier friendships I developed by going to Al Anon.

But if we want to be the best we can be, we will pick friends who see the good in life, people who will encourage us to be ourselves and who will help us try harder at things that are difficult for us.
This is just so true. I have made some life long friends in recovery, and those are the people I want by my side during the good times and especially during the hard times: the friends who will hold my hand while at the same time holding me accountable.

Have your friendships changed since you started a life of recovery?