View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cangel2

cynical one,

Interesting question about the DOC and one that has us baffled frankly. Pot is the base line but he is very informed and involved with opiates I think. Need to admit here I am not as informed about all of this as many. He is very informed and according to his therapist only energized and engaged in discussion when taking about the pharmaceutical components of pshyco interactive components of over the counter drugs. As far as I know the kid has a meth pipe, steals his Mom's over the counter sleeping drugs and pain killers. Loved NA as a way to score Oxys. And the fridge in the garage was filled with whip cream canisters. Basically he seemed to use anything that he could use to check out. Perhaps he was still in the stage of choosing a DOC. To me it seemed that the form of an altered state didn't matter so long as it took (takes) him away from the reality at hand.

I agree about the lawyer and DA approach but his Dad was still in the stages of saving his only child. I respect that. But I respect even more his moving quickly (and I might add painfully) to the position of offering the kid one last chance and alternative. He very much feels that offering one last positive alternative with full support wassomething he needed to do. Perhaps for himself but hopefully it will give his son a framework to recover.

Such a very touch road for a parent......particularly one who loves his son completely. In retrospect he clearly sees where he may have set this limit earlier.....but he is doing it now with a tremendous amount of conviction at...as I know all will relate to a huge emotional price.

JMF,

I so appreciate your comments about my boundry setting......a skill learned early at a great price but one I rely on greatly. It is so very hard to watch and support someone else coming to terms with what I now do naturally. Shame anyone needs to learn these lessons and doubly tough to have to learn this as a parent.

You are all so wonderful.....thankyou! I look forward to any further insight.

cangel2