View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  
Fool
Mad about Saffron

Day 18

Originally Posted by LaVallette View Post
EXACTLY how I feel this time around after many, many "dry spells" where it felt that I was holding off having my next drink for as long as possible, rather than accepting things a day at a time.

Awesome. This is Day 14 for me; two whole freakin' weeks! Yay me.

2 weeks is outstanding. Well done, mate.

I visited Australia almost 30 years ago when I was in the USMC. Found it to be a very beautiful place, with friendly people. Always wanted to return.

I totally can relate to "...it felt that I was holding off having my next drink for as long as possible, rather than accepting things a day at a time."

Well said. Man, have I ever been there.

I've posted before about how this attempt at sobriety feels so different from my previous habit of stringing a few days of non-drinking together whilst waiting for a convenient excuse to crack open a beer, and lie to myself about how I didn't have a problem.

I honestly don't know what has made this time different.

Maybe it is the fact that I have accepted, deep down, that I am an alcoholic, and the only way (for me) to deal with alcohol is 100% abstinence, end of discussion.

I do know that reading/posting on this forum has helped immensely.

Here, I can be accountable. Here, I can learn from others who are in the same boat as I am.

Today is my 18th day sober.

I am just 11 days away from the longest stretch without alcohol in my life in nearly 3 decades.

I feel good. Real good.

Keep your heads up classmates, and thanks once again for helping a fool find his way.