View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Fool
Mad about Saffron

Day 17

I hope everyone in the class is doing well. Today is my 17th day sober.

I packed up my beer glassware this morning.

I drank nothing but high alcohol (7-8%) craft-brewed beer (micro-brews), and had a different "correct" type of glass for each style of beer. Boxed 'em up and put them out in the shed. I'll figure out what to do with them later.

I told the first person (other than you guys ) that I had stopped drinking yesterday. Went something like this:

Friend: "So you are not drinking today? I figured for sure you would be out back with a beer, the weather is so nice..."

Fool: "Nope. In fact, I've decided to quit drinking. I'm an alcoholic."

Friend: (puzzled) "Why would you say something like that? You're not an alcoholic."

Fool: "Yea, I am. I've tried to quit drinking many, many times, and I couldn't."

Friend: "You just need to cut down. Maybe just have a few beers on the weekend only?"

Fool: "I've tried that. I've tried everything. I've tried setting limits on when I could drink....How much I could drink....etc. That does not work for me. I've had my last beer."

From there, we had a good conversation about where my head is at on this, and my reasons for quitting. Once she realized I was serious, she became very supportive.

Also saw my doctor yesterday (routine) and discovered I had lost 5 pounds. I guess not consuming 1.5K of beer calories 4-5 times a week will do that.

Oh, btw...My friend's name?

April.

How weird is that?