View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
topspin

Thanks for asking , Gneiss,

Those comments I made were just some ideas I've had about Athiesm and Agnosticism mostly. I, like you, find it totally condescending for folks to consider either of these two positions to be the result of something traumatic that's happened in someones life, ..... it's like saying someone raised in the fundamentalist South had some trauma , since they became a Budhist as a mature rational adult. Straight Hogwash !

My education is very, very limited; and no, I don't know any philosophy majors.
Wish I did though. I love it, although know so little. Just things I've read from the library.

I'm an outsider commercial glass artist, but did apprentice and later contracted with several glass studios starting in 81. So, really , I'm as far away from academia as a person could get, ... I guess. Actually , I'm a third generation street kid. <smile>

I do believe that a persons background has a lot to do with how their tranformation to a different belief system as an adult works out. I met two older professors, ....married, both practicing Budhists; and their story gave me a little insight into my own. Mary grew up with parents who were Unitarian,& Agnostic , and she told me it was the most natural thing in the world to embrace Budhism, while , for her husband it was such an "upheaval " , since his background was more of a traditional Protestant (Lutheran or Baptist I think he was ? ) Consequently he had many fundamental beliefs that changed radically when he began to practice Budhism.

My experience was more like her husbands. Being immersed in a culture of religiousity as a child and later drawing my own conclusions about a reality or (world view ) that is basically 100% opposite of what I was "exposed to" ( I consider it more like; straight up indoctrination ).......that transformative process was an "upheaval " for me too, I guess.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about Athiesm and Agnostiscism, since I agree with both positions wholeheartily. And they should never be confused with each other. That they sometimes become interchangable in conversation really minimizes both positions , don't ya think ?
Practicing acceptance , and (usually) having more of a dog-like personality anyway, I applaud and accept the majoritys' belief of Theism ; ...with all the trimmings. I honestly believe they believe what they profess. Religions to me are like periods of art, or music. How can we not love different schools, genres ......for what they are. A sort of artful literature ......
that has riddled mankind with blood and more blood.

Now , damn I'm rambling on and almost forgot your question. I wasn't implying anyone was "watering down " anything in this thread, although sometimes I'm easily confused if I read things too literally.

Growing up in the Jim Crow South has most likely influenced my sensitivity to rascism, sexcism, , and classcism. Basically , I despise bullies,!!!!!!

......and I love SR esp. the Secular Forum

I'm need to start a new thread , "what is Secularism " and when I get confused , talk of "watering something down " LOL

peace ...and love

I'm a whole 30 days clean and sober today,

ya'll give out a 30 day cyber chip or sumpin ? <smiling big >

please forgive all (sp?)