View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zenith

I certainly agree, this clinic is not operating in your best interests. Though many clinics do not urge or push patients to taper off methadone due to the extremely high relapse rate (90% within the first year), if a patient, being aware of this, still wishes to taper off, they MUST be supported and allowed to safely taper off. This is a part of the federal regulations.

I see you are from Ohio. I can tell you that Ohio is, unfortunately, one of the worst states in the country for methadone treatment. They have a very backwards attitude, overly restrictive rules and regs, overcrowded clinics, underdosed patients, you name it.

I would suggest firstly that you discuss it with the clinic director. If that does not result in an immediate order for you to begin your taper, I would file a grievance. I would also contact your state methadone authority:

Jerry L. Jones
Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services
280 North High St., 12th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: (614) 644-8442
Fax: (614) 644-5169
[email protected]

and let him know what is going on. They are there to help you.

You can also go to the National Assoc. of Methadone Advocates (NAMA-Recovery) website and contact them to see if there is a trained methadone advocate availabe in your area to assist you in this conflict.

Remember, the law says they MUST allow you to do a safe taper off methadone if that is your desire--they CANNOT refuse to do this.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-02-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: removed link