Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

When I first got into recovery in 1986 (from alcoholism/addiction), that was the only way I could define myself...as a recovering alcoholic/addict.

I remember times feeling much as you do, like I was over-saturated, that was all my life consisted of.

It came to be a matter of balance, and the continuing journey of discovering who I was besides a recovering alcoholic/addict.

I have a wonderful support group. I talk to my sponsor often. I sponsor other women on the rare occasions we get them in our group.

I also have a life outside of that, yet it's a direct result of my recovery. I am able to live the good productive life that I do because of my recovery. Does that make any sense?

I make 2 meetings a week. That's maybe 4 hours total out of my week. Talking to my sponsor might equal 1-2 hours a week.

The rest of the time I am living outside the rooms of recovery.

Today being a recovering alcoholic/addict is just a part of who I am, it is not the total sum of who I am.

Today I am a mother, grandmother, sister, and daughter who is fully present in life.

I am a full-time college student at the age of 51, soon to be 52. I love a challenge!

I am funny, caring, artistic, and a lover of animals.

I am passionate, creative, stubborn, and persistent.

I have discovered/experienced these things because I have a solid base in recovery.

I am many things!

Make any sense? (clear as mud, I bet)