View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Ceres
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by nocoincidence56 View Post
Joseph Campbell came up with a great definition of god, which I get along with: God is a metaphor, for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.

I tend to lean my understanding of god,as I understand god, as the unsuspected inner resource..... It's unity within ourselves, where before, there was none. Use any name you want.... Finding wholeness, where before, there was emptiness..... Beyond that, again, I would try to define the undefinable.. Any attempt would limit it, which, to me, implies an arrogance on my part. It's humbling to let go of any prior concept of a higher power and accept that it's not me. I go from there. From my own experience I can say, where as before I would/could not, that there is more than this......

Great thread.

Thanks
I very much agree with the metaphor. For me, I still found myself in a place of needing a much more solid concrete base. So, on this theory I could be Agnostic. But as commonly understood, I'm not. I'm Atheist. I suppose I've labeled myself. It seemed the only way for me to grow. Turns out the labeling works for now. Which is odd because I wouldn't have thought so two years ago.