View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Fool
Mad about Saffron

Day 11

Hope everyone in the class of April 2010 is doing well. Gonna be 72 and sunny here today. Matches my new outlook.

I've been sober for 11 days today. I don't know about tomorrow, but today I feel absolutely great, and I am learning that today is what matters.

Like so many others, I have tried to quit abusing myself with alcohol many, many times before.

The longest I ever made it was 28 days a year or so ago (I've been drinking for 30 years). When I hit day 29 I'm going to be grinning all day long, I already know it.

Weird thing is, in the back of my mind, I always knew I was going to fail, and that it was just a matter of time before I talked myself into "You don't really have a problem, it's O.K. to drink in moderation. It's not like you are some kind of....Alcoholic!"

Then a month or so later I would be telling myself I need to quit again.

Rinse and repeat for a few decades.

Don't know why, but this time feels so different. I'm done. I win this time.

I think of my own personal addiction as a physical being, complete with it's own voice and desires. What it wants more than anything is to be fed.

I can never kill it, but I can take away all it's power, and keep it locked up in a cage where the disruptive little ****** belongs.

I can't tell you all how much inspiration and motivation I have found since I stumbled across this forum.

Thank each and every one of you. You are helping me to do something I did not think I was capable of.