Thread: vicious cycle
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Hey Amygirl. I know that truly accepting that I am an alcoholic was the turning point for me. I could then seriously think about living a life in 'recovery'. Which is what I am living. And it's so much better than the life of active alcoholism/addiction.

My turing point also came when I stopped looking for excuses/rationalisations. It was easy for me to blame the UK's binge-drinking culture for my excessive drinking and drug taking. It was easy to say that it's a part of my identity: MR Rock N' Roll. it's easy to say that i drank to alleviate depression/worries.

But they are just excuses that kept me in the game. Take responsibility for your own actions and don;t worry about anyone else. They are your problems not anybody elses. I realised that when I was sitting in court receiving a two-year driving ban a few years ago. But I kept going for a good couple more years as i weren't finished with it yet.

I drank with people who would be considered total drunkards at times but the difference they could control it and didn't worship it like me. They would have a few with a BBQ and I would miss work for two days etcetc.

I accepted I was an alcoholic and that most other people are not.

All The best.