View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
TravelingJack

Originally Posted by otterbearcat View Post
Has anyone quit for about a year and then had a couple sips and then not even want it anymore?
That happened to my father. He was a lifelong beer drinker until about a year before he died of a heart attack. He said beer just didn't taste good to him anymore. He said he wanted to drink, but he didn't like it when he opened the can.
I don't think he had any other health problems besides his heart disease and emphysema, but I was drinking heavy at the time and probably wasn't too observant. I did miss having a drinking buddy, though, and I was astonished the man who I saw put away up to a case a day for 30 years now no longer enjoyed a single drink.
Psychologically I can relate to the relief experienced after a swallow or two, or even before the can is opened. Earlier this month I decided to end a 4 day period of sobriety (mild withdrawal, anxiety & panic attacks, no DTs) I was positively giddy as I walked to the store. Calm and at peace for the first time in days, just knowing I would be drinking that night.
My spiral continues.

Congratulations on your sober time, I hope beer always tastes bad for you.