View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by otterbearcat View Post
Im seeking to avoid any '12-step' responses, so I will see what kind of feedback I get here.

I quit drinking almost a year ago, and have been wishing I actually 'could' drink, but know it doesnt make things better.

High level of anxiety yesterday, had 3 sips of 'real beer' poured the rest down the sink.

A year ago, after 3 sips I would have a wave of calm come over me. Now, the exact opposite effect. It made me feel anxious, made me feel 'horrible' instead of 'good'. I dont want to feel that way. Hence the reason I poured the rest down the sink.

I have been having 1 to 2 N/A beers a week for the past few months will no ill effects. But I had three sips of a real beer and I dont even like the feeling anymore! It has the opposite effect it used to have on me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone quit for about a year and then had a couple sips and then not even want it anymore?

Thanks for any constructive feedback.
You have a sort of contradictory thing going on here. You've been thinking you would like to drink, but when you do drink it's not pleasant.

And the idea that you had 3 sips of beer and a wave of contentment would come over you, which is now replaced by feeling anxious after 3 sips... that's straight up psychological. No way 3 sips of beer made you feel anything physically. It sounds like beer was something like a snuggle blanket, the psychological effects of having it - or not - were more important than getting drunk?? I'm an amateur, don't take my word for it.

Bottom line to me is you were thinking you'd like to drink, took a few swigs, didn't like what you felt. So don't do it.