View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NewBeginning010

Originally Posted by priceyjunk View Post

This isnt an immediate issue, but one of my anxieties is that in a social setting, either with collegues/family/friends, people pick up that I am turning down alcohol. I've been able to avoid many situations so far where drinking was the sole activity and the few occassions when i've had to go, I've had something non-alcoholic. (There was that one time, i even pretended I had rum in my coke!). I know I have an alcohol problem, but I really am not too keen on involving other people now. Trouble is, in some situations, there is intense pressure to drink, and several folks insist on knowing why you wont have a drink (hence the rum in coke ruse!) any better ways to handle the situation?
Its amazing how often this comes up, I struggled with this at first too. Its funny when you think about it... would someone ask you in detail about why you didn't pick up a turkey leg at the dinner table??? Then make a big deal about it and if you didn't pick one up take a bite and tell you how you can just have one bite of it. Then start insisting that you have just a bite because they are having one so you should too :wtf2

I went with the "health" issues/Doc's orders thing for a while. most people didn't press much from there. At first I would answer their questions (high blood pressure, high sugar readings etc.).

Now its "I don't drink" to those that don't know me & I don't drink anymore to those that do.

I am getting better at "no thanks, I will have a water or juice if you have it"

Welcome to SR ;-)