Thread: Last attempt
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
shaun00

Originally Posted by Scarlet20 View Post
So, next Wednesday I'm going to make my last attempt at going sober (from alcohol) Please don't send me any funny faces or winking eyes, it really doesn't help me. However, I have had a lot of good advice from this site and would appreciate any genuine help that anyone has on giving up this nonsense for good. Before anyone asks, yes this date does have significance for me and might just make the difference. If I don't make any change it won't be the end of the world.
Heres my ten pence worth scarlet i hope your consider this and it helps.

id bummed around AA for years......full of smug.. arid people with crap coffee was my general opinion for a long time....

i also thought it didnt work either because id done thousands of meetings and i wasnt staying sober.
id made the coffee and still got drunk.
id dumped my b.s and still got drunk.
id put away the chairs...picked up all the cig butts and still got drunk.

coming off the last bender......and with serious thoughts of topping myself i fall back into AA for another round of coffee making.. lol

i was approached by an old guy.......he told me he knew how i felt.
i was sharing about being sober is more unbearable than drinking.
we talked for a bit.......to be honest i wasnt that interested....but he did approach me........which was unusual.......i was an angry idiot and most avoided me.

he asked me why i went back to drinking after getting into serious trouble last time.
i couldnt really answer that........"i just do"
he said....if you drank again with the full knowlege of the consequences.
dont you think "our" problem centres in our minds..

bloody great.....im a nut job and doomed.

he tells me i can recover........ha ha ha ha ha ha ....actually mate your the nutter...lol....
but he had my attention.....he showed me in the book "alcoholics anonymous"
100 men and women........recovered.

so how am i gonna treat that mind......well the first hundred had the answer to that too.
in the form of 12 steps.....not easy.......but simple clear instructions.
so here i am.......nearly ten years on........i did those steps and recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.

seriously.. i was dying......a hollow alcoholic with no solution other than drinking.....
a hopeless skid row drunk...with limited time left.
and i never drank again and dont intend too..

i now try to carry that message of hope to newcomers..that there is a solution...but just doing meeting dont normally cut it..imo

what you got to lose?