View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kittykitty

Welcome...

"The point is I am in love with my boyfriend. When he drinks, he isn't the man I know. He is a complete monster. I cannot keep this restraining order against him because I love him I know that he needs help. I know that it is an illness and not something he does intentionally to hurt me. I need to make him realize that he is an alcoholic and I need to find help for him that will actually help him. I would stay with him if he were to stop drinking, but I just need to know a way to help him. I know from personal experience with drug addiction that the only way for him to recover is to want to help himself."

You don't need to do anything but protect yourself. You don't need to do anything but value your life and your safety over his.

Bottom line is that he KNOWS that he turns into an abusive monster when he drinks, and he STILL chooses to drink. This is something that has been discussed in detail elsewhere...the addiction is not a choice, but the decision to feed the addiction is. He has chosen alcohol over you, knowing full well what he is capable when he drinks. Are you comfortable with that?

You say he would never actually kill you. When he's drunk, he's not HIM, he's someone else. You never know what that "someone else" will do, especially in a drunken rage, until it is too late.

Please take care of yourself. And let him take care of himself. There is nothing you can do to help him if he doesn't want to help himself.