Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by JimsInPerth View Post
Hi there, I cook at home most days and plenty of my recipes call for wine. No Problem. All the alcohol evaporates after just a few minutes of simmering so you won't be injesting alcohol by cooking with it. I suggest getting screw-top wine bottles and just make up your mind to put the top back on the bottle, put it in the cupboard and forget about it until the next time. Call it a test of your sobriety, for be assured that worse temptations await you on the road ahead. I now drink diet tonic water with chunks of lemon out of my garden which is kinda fulfilling since I used to give the lemons away at work. I'm spending a small fortune on tonic but my liver now loves me again!
I have to disagree Jim.

I'm glad it works for you but I wouldn't recommend anyone here 'test their sobriety' in the way you suggest.

As for alcohol evaporating in cooking...

I don't want to divert this thread too much, but it's an important point to remember that according to bodies like the United States Federal Department of Agriculture it does not all evaporate.

Some, but not ALL of the alcohol evaporates during cooking.Many people believe that because alcohol is sensitive to heat, it is eliminated with cooking. However, not all the alcohol content of alcoholic drinks is removed with heat; it depends on the type and time of cooking.

For instance if you add beer or wine to boiling liquid, then immediately remove it from the heat, 85 per cent of the alcohol content will remain. If you light the alcohol, as in flambé dishes, 75 per cent will remain. Even after simmering the dish for one and a half hours, it will still have 20 per cent of the original alcohol content.

It is only if you simmer the mixture for two or more hours, (as you would with a wine-based beef casserole), that as much as five to 10 per cent of the original alcohol content still remains.
Alcohol Retention During Cooking

D