View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by wendyjane40 View Post
I quit drinking 213 days ago, and made it 6 months without having a sip. Then I just decided I didn't want to be sober anymore I guess you could say I relapsed. So for the past month or so I have been drinking just about every other day, sometimes just 1 drink, sometimes until I get so hammered I throw up and have a lovely 3 day hangover. I just don't understand why I do this to myself. I made a commitment to myself to quit drinking and was very happy for the 6 months that I was sober. Now I'm miserable and living with guilt on a daily basis. I am ready to give it up again, but I am wondering how common it is to relapse and how people get past it. I know what alcohol does to me and I don't like it, so why is it so hard for me to stay sober? It seems as though it should be so simple..

Welcome!!!

Jme, I wasn't very happy with the idea of abstinence-for me, there's a difference between abstinence and sobriety-and my first go round lasted somewhere north of 5000 days.

Thing was, I never accepted to any real degree my alcoholism, lack of acceptance eventually led me back to denial, repeat the cycle.

Took me nearly 5 years to get back, now I am in that happy place called acceptance, at least regarding my alcoholism. And I have outside support and a blueprint for living, which helps tremendously.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.